Monday, August 10, 2009

Help in the Pasture

I've been waiting for some rain to soften up the ground so that I can pop out some more burrs in the little boys' pasture. We have had 5 1/2 inches in the last couple of days. My ground is mostly clay so you can imagine how hard it is without moisture. Today seemed the perfect day to finish up. It always surprises me how little time my chores take once I get at them. Finished the entire pasture in less than two hours.
I'm glad that I had my camera in my pocket so that I can share the pictures of my helpers. On the left ↓ is little JR with his best friend, Snickers.


Slammie (Orion) was there to help also ↓

I think that I have become quite the pro at thistle removal. If they are little I can just slide my shovel under, loosen the roots, and pull them out by the roots. Of course, I wear my thickest leather gloves 'cause those babies are sharp. If they have grown tall, I push the top down and hold it with my foot, then take my "sharp" shovel and whack it at ground level.
Here's the hat that I just finished knitting and put in my Etsy Store.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Thistles are the worst- why do they grow so well even when the plants won't? Love the hat!

Meg said...

Our dogs always "help" us in the yard! Glad to see such a big JR :D

orangefaeriedust said...

I saw this hat pop up in your shop today and am just in awe. It is so lovely. I have never been very good at colorwork and am just totally amazed anytime I see someone actually succeed at it. :)

Teresa said...

Awesome hat! Did you use a pattern or just make it up as you went along?

RC said...

beautiful hat!
how about selling yout potpourri in your shop too?

Zu said...

With all that hard work you do you must be buff! ;-)

Love the hat, very cute. :-)

Map