Monday, October 13, 2008

Appreciation of Handmade


Deborah from Fort Worth, Texas contacted me a month or so ago and asked me to knit a matching hat and scarf to be given as a Christmas present. (Wish that I had asked who it was for.) Anyway, this is what I came up with. The white is alpaca and merino, some of my mill spun, and the pink is dyed mohair and a little angora.
I finished it this a.m. and emailed Deb with pictures to tell her they were done and asked if $60 would be ok. Oh, my, she mailed me back and practically scolded me and said that she wouldn't take it unless I charged at least $85.
Isn't that amazing???? Thank you so much, Deb, from all of us fiber folks enjoying our craft. It is so nice to be appreciated.
☼ ☼ ☼
Opps, I almost forgot - I'm listing my life changes....
4. I can drive that big old John Deere riding lawn mower in the garage. In fact, I "almost" enjoy it.
5. Riley, my cat, can go outside whenever he wants. Smitty always worried that something bad would happen to him because he has no front claws. I trust that he can take care of himself.
6. Money! I have a new appreciation for the green stuff because my income has been cut into half and I have no savings. Since the kids graduated from college, I have pretty much spent whatever I wanted with little thought involved. I'm glad that I already have the important things like my Majacraft Spinning Wheel and my carder.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Maple!! How sweet to add me to your blog! I feel famous~ Your work is off the chart Gorgeous and I could not take it for 60.00!! Actually, that's probably just the labor price!! Stop selling your self short!! And folks, I do not know Maple. Only came across her work on etsy and love her fibers and artistry. Thanks for the compliment Maple. I shall be back for more~That you can be sure of!! Sincerely, Debbie

Anonymous said...

please don't let the kitty go out at night! there are animals out there that are mean. my neighbor lost 3 that way... just little jaunts during the day, okay??! love ya!

Anonymous said...

YUP! Maple's high quality standards for both her fiber and her spinning/knitting make for BEAUTIFUL products...add her artist's eye for color combinations and style and you can appreciate what a craftswoman she is! Changes rattle life's daily equilibrium for sure...but you are so well grounded Maple, surrounded by the animals, people and things that TRULY bring you meaning, that I am confident you will weather all of this. You already know when you feel discombobulated to --SPIN, BABY, SPIN! Maybe there is a whole line of John Deere green/yellow products to be spun...for all those folks on their mowers/tractors in need of a warm hat! Hmmmmm......

Pamala Rose said...

And conversations with friends are always free. Hope to run into you one of these days at the shop when you are ready to get out and about again.

Love the hat and scarf!

Anonymous said...

That set is beautiful! It's so sweet of her to offer the amount it's actuall worth. Most people would have just paid the lesser amount and gotten awa with a bargain.

Map