Saturday, June 20, 2009

Strawberry Breakfast and Wildflowers (maybe)


After chores I stopped at the strawberry patch and picked the first strawberries of this year. I just had to show you how big they are. That's ↓ a regular sized plum with them. Three strawberries filled me up.
BTW - I've lost 10 pounds since I started the NutriSystem 4 weeks ago, and still eating frequently. I will for sure stay on it another month.





I have never really enjoyed gardening. I want the garden spotless - no weeds - but don't have the stick-to-itive-ness to do the weeding so have always left the garden work to Smitty. He didn't seem to mind the weeds. Last fall after harvest, I had folks take his berry bushes, most of the strawberry plants, and bulbs, and then tilled it up. I thought I would just seed it to grass. But then this spring I got to thinking how awesome it would be if it were wild flowers. It would be beautiful and sort of a memorial/tribute to Smitty. I've sown lots of seeds but am afraid the weeds may take over. Is hard to tell the difference. Now I'm thinking maybe I should buy some plants to put out there. At least I could tell them from the weeds.

8 comments:

Robin said...

I love fresh veggies from the garden but also hate to weed - my plant area is hopeless - except for thistles which I ruthlessly pull out my feeling is "if it is green or pretty it can stay" - my neighbors would prefer I pull weeds out so they don't spread to their yards but hey its my yard and weeding is too difficult for my arthritic knees and hips.

ooglebloops said...

Not a great weeder here either - my peony bed is lost!!! The veggie gardens are relatively weed free!
I don't have alot of luck planting seeds - always end up planting live plants and letting them reseed themselves - for some reason that works better!! Your strawberries are huge!!!

critter Lover said...

BERRY Good!

Beth

Crazy Lady with purple fingers said...

Wow!! Now those are strawberries! I could not live without a garden...flowers and veg. although where we live now it is such a challenge to outwit the rodents and the weeds. Wouldn't it be great if there was some rule that when you plant wild flowers grass will not grow in them....mind you...our land has a lot of wild flowers....growing in the grass.....and I love them!

Gwendolyn said...

For our wedding we threw wildflower seeds in the woods where we got married and 18 years later we still see signs of them. You can buy big cans of wildflower mix that might be better able to compete with the weeks. I'd try mowing it and adding more seeds. I love seeing the wildflowers sneaking up through the grass. It gives me a good memory.

Mulchandmore said...

nice berries, mine are still green, bigger than usual but not that huge!
Weeds are part of the garden?? They help disquise the veggies from the deer, at least that's my story!

Mare said...

Oh those berries look delicious! I love that picture of you and Snickers spinning! So sweet...

Lisa said...

I love love love Michigan berries. They taste so much better than the imported ones. I made jam and shortcake this week. YUM-O!!!!!!!

Map