Friday, May 30, 2008

What to do with the lumpy/bumpy art yarn?

This is a scarf that I just listed in my Etsy shop. A fast and easy knit, but you must realize that I hand dyed the alpaca/merino/mohair roving, spun a slubby 160 yard single, and plied it with Wooly Nylon. Can you tell there are little ruffles on each end? Here are the simple directions. Cast on 64 stitches (I use the knit cast on), Row 1, knit 2 together, Row 2 knit 2 together. Knit each row until you have about 4 yards of yarn left (I chose the garter stitch because I think it shows off the lumpies best). Increase in each stitch and the last row increase in each stitch again. Bind off loosely. Oh, I used US# 13 needles.
I'm just showing here some other yarns that I think would make similar scarves. With some of the lesser yardage, I would cast on 40 or maybe 48 stitches, and follow the same decrease and increase.








3 comments:

Ohiocrochetlady said...

I love the scarf. It is so beautiful.

Unknown said...

A real fun project, Maple! Makes me want to get my needles and get started! lol

I'm a beginner knitter and I can see that this is a quick and easy project. Quick question, though... how does one determine when one has reached the 'last 4 yards of yarn'? I know, it's easy for you... but for me?... lol

Marg

Anonymous said...

I love the ruffled edges. It adds such a nice and artistic touch.

Pretty yarn too, as usual.

Map